Housing advice & support

Disability accommodation advice and supportCall 1300 704 456 
email [email protected]

Our housing support service assists people living with a severe disability to obtain secure and affordable accommodation to meet their special needs. We work in close partnership with housing agencies that specialise in providing long-term and transitional housing for people with a disability. We assist you to apply for this specialised housing, and then provide you with on-going support when you become a tenant.

While our service is free, to be eligible you must have a disability and be facing one or more of these situations:

  • at risk of current accommodation and support arrangements breaking down
  • homeless
  • exiting, or at risk of entering the justice system
  • from a culturally and linguistically diverse or indigenous background
  • experiencing social isolation
  • unable to maintain current living arrangements with your primary carer who is experiencing difficulty providing support at the level required 
  • able to move to more independent living arrangements

The broad support we provide includes:

  • assistance to learn skills and/or obtain suitable affordable accommodation
  • assistance in resolving any disputes related to the tenancy (including appropriate support services to maintain the tenancy)
  • advocacy to achieve secure and independent housing
  • information about public housing eligibility and assistance in the preparation of applications for public housing

Due to demand for this service, we often need to place you on a waitlist for this service. But we’ll try our best to advise you of an estimated start date and provide you with support at the earliest convenience. To discuss the availability of housing support from Independence Australia, please call us on 1300 704 456, email [email protected] or leave us your contact details on the enquiry form on this page.


Visual Captcha
* Required